With Hollywood flair, the Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) launched the 2006-07 program year with its annual Employee Recognition Day gathering on August 24, 2006, at the Scottish Rite Masonic Center in Sacramento. The 21st annual event honored staff for years of service, recognized retirees, honored Employees of the Month, and introduced SCOE's Teacher of the Year 2007.
Approximately 700 employees heard of SCOE plans for the upcoming program year, enjoyed refreshments, and visited informational displays presented by SCOE programs and campuses. The theme of this year's program was "Honoring SCOE Stars" and the event included everything from a red carpet to video clip "movie trailers" of SCOE programs.
Sacramento County Board of Education Trustee Christopher Woods welcomed employees and thanked them for their contributions to SCOE. Trustees Elinor Lincoln Hickey and Harold Fong helped present employee service awards. SCOE Personnel Commission members Helena Hurst, Earl Walker, and Clellan "Cy" Young assisted in honoring employees. David W. Gordon, County Superintendent of Schools, recounted the many ways the County Office both supported and led efforts to secure quality education for all students in the prior year.
"I've visited so many programs and have seen first-hand how hard you work and how much you give, every single day, to some of the most vulnerable children in our county, Superintendent Gordon said. "Excellence does not just happen. It takes a strong collaboration between administrators and employee associations."
Special Education Principal Sharon Holstege introduced SCOE's 2007 Teacher of the Year, Sharon Botkin, who will represent SCOE in the annual Sacramento County Teachers of the Year program. Ms. Botkin teaches severely handicapped students in SCOE's preschool program.
Serving as master of ceremonies was SCOE Vocational Specialist Michael Laharty, who works at SCOE's Leo A. Palmiter High School campus. In addition to announcing recipients of service awards, Michael hosted a humorous game show titled "Know Your SCOE Acronyms" in which contestants from the audience received prizes for being good sports.
Employees received door prizes donated by area businesses, vendors, education supporters, and fellow employees. Contributions to the annual Employee Recognition Day food drive caused Sacramento Food Bank collection barrels to overflow. Employees also filled donation containers with personal care products for the students and families served by Project TEACH, a SCOE program aimed at ensuring that homeless children remain continuously enrolled in school.
Employee Recognition Day Planning Team
- Karen Basurto-Atteberry (Child Welfare & Attendance)
- Lorraine Bishop (Special Education)
- Betsy Bourne (CNTS)
- Cathy Broyles (Administration)
- Valerie Dunfee (Special Education)
- Margaret Fichtner (Workforce Development)
- Beth Flory (Communications)
- Claudia Golsong (C-SAPA)
- Kimberli Harbert (AVID/Cal-SOAP/College Horizons)
- Sharon Ketcherside (Procurement Services)
- Dawn McCarron (Technology Services)
- Sherri McFall (Administration)
- Kara Lynn Pomykala (Special Education)
- Linda Ponce (Community Schools)
- Don Pope (District Fiscal Services)
- Cathy Sapunor (Communications)
- Joanne Spencer (Procurement Services)
- Andy Tsunekawa (Financial Services)
- Julie Voong (Warrant Distribution)
- Kathleen Wheeler (Juvenile Court Schools)
- John Woodward (Communications)
- Michael Laharty (Special Education)
- Cheryl Benner & Gayla Smith (Transportation)
- Kris Silbaugh (BTSA)
- Special Education staff Susan Johnson/Galt High School & Stephanie Ernster/Prairie Elementary School—West Campus
- Special Education staff Lin Baerresen/Prairie West Elementary School, Jan Bateman/Highlands High School, Linda Chafin/Rio Linda Junior High School, Debra Hickey/Highlands High School & Jim Welliver/Jefferson Elementary School
- Carla Miller, Daphanee Manker & Josefina Taca (Administration)
- Carolyn Foster (Internet & Media Services)
- Tom Adams, Mary Fager & staff of Support Operations & Facilities Services
- Carol Alexander, Rosana Chavez, Kim Cummings, Sylvia Holloway & Karen Robison (Personnel)
- Guadalupe Delgado (Cal-SOAP)
- Betty Pearce (SCOE retiree)
- Pete Shnaydman (Workforce Development)
- Debi Jarvie (Special Education)
- Maria Esparza Espinoza, Cindy Tanaka & Linda Taylor (Juvenile Court Schools)
- SCOE's Procurement Services & Warehouse staff
- SCOE's Printing & Production staff
- Joelle Orrock & Friday Night Live staff (Prevention & Student Services)
- Project TEACH staff
- Sacramento Food Bank
- Guo Qiang Cai & Zhaorong Wu (Scottish Rite Masonic Center)
- Fresh Cut Florist
- Talini Nursery on Folsom Boulevard
- Executive Engravers
- Paula Maita & Company