The Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) launched the 2001–02 school year with its annual Employee Recognition Day gathering on 23 August. Held 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon at the Scottish Rite Masonic Center in Sacramento, the 17th annual event honored staff for years of service to SCOE, recognized those who retired or were chosen as Employees of the Month in the 2000–01 school year, and announced the name of the individual chosen as SCOE's 2002 Teacher of the Year.
Approximately 700 employees enjoyed refreshments, learned about Sacramento County Office of Education plans for the 2001–02 school year, and visited informational displays presented by various SCOE programs and campuses.
Presentations were made by County Superintendent of Schools Dr. David P. Meaney and Dr. Glen Thomas, Executive Director of the California County Superintendents Educational Services Association, and Sacramento County Board of Education Vice President Brian Cooley, Trustee Area 5. All three congratulated SCOE employees for their contributions to the educational successes of students in the Sacramento region and throughout the state of California.
Robin Pierson, Assistant Superintendent, Education Programs, thanked SCOE's Mentor Teachers for their years of service to SCOE and talked about the new PAR (Peer Assistance and Education Review) Program. She also introduced Michael Laharty, who talked about his reign as SCOE's Teacher of the Year 2001. Gary Scott Johnson, Interim Director III of Special Education/Special Services, formally introduced SCOE's newly selected Teacher of the Year 2002, Michael Bernardis, an Infant Educator who works with special needs infants and toddlers at both the Prairie Infant Center and in the homes of their families.
Serving as master of ceremonies for the event was John Burge, Database Designer/Information Systems Analyst, who works in SCOE's Educational Internet Technologies Department. Assisting with the announcing duties were Joy Bonds-Baird, Language, Speech and Hearing Specialist (Special Education/Infant Development Department); Adair McEachern, ED Teacher (Special Education/Leo A. Palmiter High School); Dan Leonard, Teacher (Juvenile Court Schools/Bowling Drive Training Center); Kara Lynn Pomykala, SH Teacher (Special Education/Dry Creek Elementary—West Campus); and Andy Tsunekawa, Manager (ROP and Court School Budgets/Financial Services).
Door prizes contributed by area businesses, vendors and education supporters were awarded. Employee contributions to the annual Employee Recognition Day food drive benefiting the Sacramento Food Bank overflowed the collection barrels.
- Bill Hammond, Paul Rosech, Rod Dark, Kenny Bemis, and Parrish Chavez (Printing & Production)
- John Burge, Carolyn Foster, and John Woodward (Educational Internet Technologies)
- Kris Silbaugh (BTSA)
- Diana Welty (School Support & Improvement)
- Joelle Orrock and the staff of Friday Night Live/Club Live
- Adair MacEachern (Special Education)
- Joy Bonds-Baird (Infant Development Program)
- Dan Leonard (Juvenile Court Schools)
- Kara Lynn Pomykala (Special Education)
- Nancy Alexander and bus drivers (Transportation)
- Special Education students and staff who prepared refreshments
- Sharon Holstege (Special Education)
- Mary Kobashigawa, Gail Brunson, and Kim Cummings (Personnel)
- Shirley Lentsch, Kelley Lambeth, Cyndi Kroeck & LoriAnn Myers (Administration)
- Becky Betz, Paulette Pacheco & Bill Straus (Procurement)
- Mark Woodward
- Joe Pease (Computer, Network & Telecommunication Support)
- Vong Young of Scottish Rite Masonic Center
- The Flower Shop on J Street
- Talini Nursery on Folsom Blvd.
- Executive Engravers
- Paula Maita & Company
- Corporate Express
- Pilot Pen Company
- Elinor L. Hickey
- Office Depot
- Sharif Jewelers
- Lakeshore Learning Materials
- Reimers Furniture
- Giselle’s Travel
- Robin Pierson
- First Choice
- Directors and managers who submitted photos for the annual slide show
Employee Recognition Day Planning Team
- Tom Adams (Procurement)
- Lorraine Bishop (Special Education)
- Sal DeLeon (Prevention & Student Services)
- Beth Flory (Public Information)
- Clark Geurts (Computer, Network & Telecommunication Support)
- Patty Headley (Workforce Development Department)
- Travis Ketchum (Computer, Network and Telecommunication Support)
- Dawn McCarron (California Technology Assistance Program)
- Sherri McFall (Support Operations)
- Gene Murray (Support Operations)
- Paul Roesch (Printing & Production)
- Cathy Sapunor (Public Information)
- Andy Tsunekawa (Financial Services)