2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that cause symptoms of colds. However, the 2019 virus is a “novel” virus that originated in China in late 2019 (hence the name: 2019 Novel Coronavirus). Until recently, this strain of coronavirus only circulated among animals. It has now spread to humans and is spreading between humans. The abbreviated term for the new coronavirus is COVID-19.
Status of School Districts in Sacramento County
The Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) is working with Sacramento County Public Health (SCPH) to provide students, families, and the public with the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the COVID-19 situation in Sacramento County. All districts are following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and SCPH to keep students and staff safe and healthy, and avoid the spread of rumors and misinformation.
Current Understanding of the Virus
- Symptoms most commonly include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Headache, sore throat, and runny nose also occur with this virus. (Some people have fewer or no symptoms.)
- Spread is most likely from droplets (cough and sneezing).
- The CDC considers this a serious public health threat. It is urging members of the public to call their healthcare provider for medical advice if they think they’ve been exposed to COVID-19 and develop symptoms.
- Symptoms of COVID-19 may appear in 2–14 days after exposure.
- For patients who are more severely ill, hospitals can provide supportive care.
- It is not yet known whether people carrying the virus but having no symptoms can spread the virus to others.
Information on this virus and how to control its spread may change in the following days and weeks. Follow the SCOE and local school district websites, along with these resources, for up-to-date, accurate information:
- Sacramento County Public Health COVID-19 Page
- California Department of Public Health COVID-19 Page
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention COVID-19 Page
- California Department of Education (CDE) COVID-19 Resources and Guidance
Education Resources/Remote Learning
- Enriching the Remote Learning Experience—includes a SCOE-produced video catalog and remote learning resources by subject
Related SCOE News Articles
- 7/15/20: School Should Resume in Fall with Distance Learning Model
- 6/2/20: Guidance Released for Reopening Schools in 2020–21
- 4/3/20: County Districts to Close for Remainder of School Year
- 3/27/20: County Districts Extend Closures Due to Coronavirus
- 3/24/20: COVID-19: Managing Anxiety and Emotional Wellbeing
- 3/13/20: County Districts Announce Closures Due to Coronavirus
- 3/7/20: Joint Announcement on Local School Closures
- 3/2/20: Districts Coordinating with Public Health on Coronavirus
Last Modified: 8/31/2020