Physical education is a critical part of a student’s school day. Because schools have resumed with distance learning this year due to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) and the Sacramento Republic Football Club (SRFC) professional soccer team are partnering to help kids stay active through a series of physical education videos being aired on television and posted online.
The short “Republic P.E.” videos were produced by SRFC in partnership with SCOE. In the enrichment videos, players and team staff lead students in grade-appropriate lessons. Teachers, students, and families can use the lessons to supplement student learning and help keep kids active.
“These videos are a great way to engage kids and focus on their physical health,” said David W. Gordon, Sacramento County Superintendent of Schools. “We want to get children up and moving, and we are grateful that the Sac Republic players will be leading children in fun workouts.”
“Health and fitness are fundamental to what we do, and our focus is always on supporting community wellbeing,” said SRFC President and COO Ben Gumpert. “As one of our core community investment values, we’re excited to support teachers and families by providing fun workouts and trainings for all students in the region to promote healthy living and learning.”
Students can access the virtual P.E. lessons with mobile devices and computers, and on select cable providers through SCOE’s partnership with the Sacramento Educational Cable Consortium (SECC). The lessons—developed in partnership with SCOE and leading P.E. teachers from Sacramento County—range from ninety seconds to ten minutes in length, depending on the targeted age group. The videos will air Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 12:30 p.m. through the end of November on Comcast Channel 15/Consolidated 21/U-Verse 14.
“Republic P.E.” Video Lessons
- Dribbling (K–2)—Adam Moffat demonstrates how to dribble with the ball at your feet! (For younger players, ages 7 and under.)
- Dribbling (3rd Grade+)—Adam Moffat, with SRFC Academy players and staff, runs through some simple exercises to teach one of the most important parts of the game: dribbling. (For older players, ages 8 and up.)
- Juggling—Learn how to juggle the ball, with the help of SRFC Academy players and Adam Moffatt. From beginner to advanced, these drills will help you have better control.
- Republic FC Player Skills—SRFC players Hayden Sargis, Sam Werner, and Villyan Bijev, along with Head Trainer Betty Olmedo, teach soccer skills.
- Skill Progression #1—Learn how to go past defenders, parents, pets, and furniture, with these dribbling skills. SRFC Academy players show you the steps.
- Skill Progression #2—SRFC Academy players are back with more fun moves to get past your opponent.
Since school closures began due to COVID-19, SCOE has produced a series of enrichment videos as a public service to support teachers, students, and parents who are temporarily engaged in online learning. Videos are being added regularly, and are being broadcast on cable television by SECC.
Sacramento Republic FC Support for Education
Throughout the pandemic, Sacramento Republic FC has developed resources for teachers, parents, and students to help with the learn-from-home environment. The resources include a Backyard Skills video, Read with Republic storytime, art exercises, and more than 70 surprise visits to virtual classrooms.