David W. Gordon, Sacramento County Superintendent of Schools, today officially announced the names of the five Sacramento County Classified Employees of the Year for 2017. The employees will now move on to represent the county in the state Classified School Employees of the Year competition.
2017 County Classified Employees of the Year
- Robyn McKenzie, Twin Rivers Unified School District (Child Nutrition Category)
- Sergio Bravo, Sacramento City Unified School District (Maintenance, Operations and Facilities Category)
- Bess Laliberte, Folsom Cordova Unified School District (Office and Technical Category)
- Natalya Edwards, Sacramento County Office of Education (Paraprofessional Educator/Instructional Assistance Category)
- Zenaida Kamine, San Juan Unified School District (Support Services and Security Category)
District and County Office of Education staff from five of the six state categories competed this year to be Sacramento County Classified School Employees of the Year. A selection committee, made up of representatives from the participating districts, chose one winner from each category to represent Sacramento County at the state level. The county selection process involved paper screening and formal interviews.
“I think it is safe to say that our schools and districts could not function without our classified employees and the great contributions that they make each and every day to support students and their families,” said County Superintendent Gordon.
Each employee recognized was selected for his/her exemplary performance of responsibilities that contribute significantly to the success of district programs, services, and special projects. The overall objective is to acknowledge and promote the efforts of the state’s outstanding classified school employees.
A California Department of Education (CDE) committee will now evaluate nominations statewide. State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson is expected to announce the recipients of the state awards in April. State winners are typically honored at a luncheon in Sacramento during Classified School Employee Week, celebrated May 21–27, 2017.