For the second consecutive year, Folsom High School is the winner of the Sacramento County Academic Decathlon competition. Folsom High School now advances to the State Finals, which will be held March 11–14, 2011, in Sacramento.
Sacramento County Superintendent of Schools David W. Gordon announced individual and team winners of the 31st Annual Sacramento County Academic Decathlon, held February 5 at Inderkum High School. Students competed for awards in 10 demanding academic events: Mathematics, Art, Music, Language/Literature, Economics, Social Science, Essay, Speech, Interview, and Super Quiz (Science).
The top scorers were honored on February 9 at an awards banquet presented by the Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) at the Sacramento State University Ballroom. KCRA Channel 3 Anchor and Political Reporter Kevin Riggs served as emcee at the awards banquet. Students received gold, silver, or bronze medals for their efforts.
SAFE Credit Union provided $10,000 in scholarships to be distributed among top-scoring students.
Twenty-five Sacramento County high schools each sent teams comprised of three Honors students (those with "A" grade averages), three Scholastic ("B") students, and three Varsity ("C") students to compete February 5 in written and oral exams at Inderkum High School. To prepare for the Academic Decathlon, students devoted months of study to the theme "The Great Depression." Questions asked at the live Super Quiz, the day's final event, covered the topic "An Introduction to Geology," based on the Dust Bowl period of U.S. history. Fox40 LIVE Morning Host Paul Robins served as the Super Quiz Master. The Sacramento County Academic Decathlon is conducted by staff and volunteers of SCOE.
- 1st Place: Folsom High School (Folsom Cordova Unified School District)
- 2nd Place: Bella Vista High School (San Juan Unified School District)
- 3rd Place: Monterey Trail High School (Elk Grove Unified School District)
- 4th Place: Del Campo High School (San Juan Unified School District)
- 5th Place: Pleasant Grove High School (Elk Grove Unified School District)
Folsom High School is now eligible to represent Sacramento County in the California Academic Decathlon March 11-14, 2011, in Sacramento. California's winning team advances to the U.S. Academic Decathlon April 27-30, 2011, in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Schools Placing Highest in the Super Quiz
(compilation of scores from written and oral exams)
- 1st Place: Bella Vista High School (San Juan Unified School District)
- 2nd Place: Folsom High School (Folsom Cordova Unified School District)
- 3rd Place: Del Campo High School (San Juan Unified School District)
School With "Most Improved Score"
- Monterey Trail High School (Elk Grove Unified School District)