At its regular July 21 meeting, the Sacramento County Board of Education publicly recognized the Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) Communications Office for receiving a record 13 statewide awards for the 2008–09 school year.
In June, the California School Public Relations Association (CalSPRA) honored SCOE with awards for the following projects:
Award of Excellence
- Brochure: SCOE Overview
- Internet/Intranet website: Sacramento County Office of Education website
- Photography: Teacher of the Year Photo Display
- Promotion/Awareness Package: Mather Employee Events Team (MEET)
- Promotion/Awareness Package: Operation Recognition Awareness Campaign
- Special Purpose Publication: Our Voices, Our Visions, Students Arts Calendar
Award of Merit
- Brochure: Arts Executive Advisory Committee
- General Information Publication: 2009 Sacramento County Public Schools Directory
- Multimedia Communication: Academic Decathlon Banquet Video
- Multimedia Communication: SCOE End of the Year Report
- Poster: Sacramento County Academic Decathlon Poster
- Special Purpose Publication: Teacher of the Year Information Folder
- Writing: Speech, "Education Helping Ease the Transition from Incarceration to the Community"
The SCOE Communications Office provides communication services to support the Sacramento County Office of Education's programs and services. It assists school districts in Sacramento County with strategic communications and media outreach and serves as a key disseminator of information to educators and community leaders county-wide.
The four-person Communications team consists of Tim Herrera, Communications Director; Cathy Sapunor, Special Events Coordinator; Beth Flory, Program Analyst; and John Woodward, Multimedia Design Specialist.
The CalSPRA Excellence in Communication Competition annually recognizes outstanding achievement in communications and public relations for K–16 educational professionals and institutions throughout the state. Entries were judged this year by School Public Relations Association members from New York.