Extracurricular activities give students the opportunity to learn about teamwork, competition, and responsibility. They help students develop important social skills, discover new interests, and develop skills that lead to increased self-confidence and self-esteem. These skills are also attractive to colleges and employers, increasing their chances of success.
The Club Live program—which the Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) has operated in partnership with chapters at middle schools across the county since 1991—provides many opportunities for young people to participate in exciting and beneficial activities centered around community engagement and prevention of alcohol/drug use. One popular program is the annual Club Live Countywide Lip Sync Competition, with thousands of students participating since the competition’s inception in 1998.
This year’s 23rd annual Lip Sync Competition took place Friday at The Sofia Theatre after a hiatus due to COVID-19 restrictions. The competition, coordinated by the SCOE Prevention and Early Intervention Department, featured approximately 35 students from ten middle schools “singing” and dancing to both old and new songs. Some participating schools chose teams to compete, while others held their own school lip sync competitions with the winners getting to advance to the countywide show.
“Everyone who participates in the Lip Sync Competition is so enthusiastic,” said Coordinator Joelle Orrock. “It’s a fun and positive event with lots of learning experiences, and everyone puts a lot of work into preparing their acts. We’re really excited to be able to offer this experience to students again.”
For more information about Club Live, call (916) 228-2418.
Winners received cash prizes and gifts donated by Crossfit Kaiwai, the Daggett family, Gregg and Nyla Daggett, Vickie Good, Tom and Joelle Orrock, Iulia Panescu-Quiazon, and SCOE Cabinet members.
- 1st Place: Winston Churchill (San Juan USD)
- 2nd Place: WPCS Eastside Charter School and Smythe Academy of Arts & Sciences (Twin Rivers USD)
- 3rd Place: Elizabeth Pinkerton (Elk Grove USD)
- Creativity: Oakdale (Twin Rivers USD)
- Choreography: Norwood Junior High School (Twin Rivers USD)
- Stage Presence: Will Rogers (San Juan USD)
- Inspirational: Ridgepoint (Twin Rivers USD)
- Most Spirited/Energy: Gold River Discovery Center (San Juan USD)
- Expression/Emotional/Soul: Sutter Middle School (Folsom Cordova USD)