The Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) is now accepting submissions for an essay contest designed to honor local military veterans. The winning high school student will receive a $1,000 college scholarship, courtesy of SAFE Credit Union.
The essay contest takes place in conjunction with Operation Recognition, a program of the Sacramento County Board of Education. Since 2001, the Board has honored the contributions of local veterans who left high school to serve in the U.S. military during World War II, the Korean War, or the Vietnam War. Qualifying veterans can receive their high school diplomas, along with qualifying Japanese American citizens forced to leave high school due to WW II internment.
500-Word Essay Contest
Contestants must be high school juniors or seniors currently attending public high schools in Sacramento County. The completed essay, along with a cover letter, must be received by May 2, 2022. To receive the scholarship, the winning entrant must attend the Board meeting at 6:30 p.m. on May 17, 2022 (either virtually or in person—to be determined) to read his or her essay.
- The 2022 theme is “How We Can Thank Our Veterans for Their Sacrifices.”
- Essays should be 400–500 words long, typed, and double-spaced. (Titles and footnotes do not contribute to the word count.)
- A cover letter should be attached containing the student's name, home address, phone number, e-mail address, name of high school, and one paragraph summarizing college and career goals.
- A positive approach is recommended when expressing viewpoints.
- No pictures or images should be included.
Essays will be judged on how well the student understood, developed, and presented the theme. Scores will be based equally on knowledge of the theme, structure/spelling/grammar, theme development, and clarity of ideas. Students may either apply electronically or via conventional mail.
Mailing Address/Delivery Instructions
Contestants may only enter once. Entries must be received by May 2, 2022 and can be submitted electronically or by mail. Electronic essay submissions in PDF or Word format (or any questions about the essay contest) may be sent via email to Tim Herrera, SCOE Communications Director. Printed entries should be mailed to:
Operation Recognition Scholarship Contest
SCOE Communications Office
P.O. Box 269003
Sacramento, CA 95826-9003