After several days of intense virtual and in-person courtroom competition and careful deliberations by esteemed judges, the verdicts are in for the 2022 Gordon D. Schaber Sacramento County Mock Trial Competition: Elk Grove High School is this year’s champion. The team now advances to the California Mock Trial Competition, which will be held online March 20–22.
Sacramento County Day placed second, followed by Pleasant Grove, and Natomas Pacific Pathways Prep in fourth. Fourteen Sacramento County high school teams competed in the 2022 competition, as well as two from Yolo County one from El Dorado County.
The Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE), which coordinates the event, announced the winners at an awards ceremony last night.
Sacramento County Mock Trial Results
- 1st Place: Elk Grove High School (Elk Grove USD)
- 2nd Place: Sacramento Country Day School
- 3rd Place: Natomas Pacific Pathways Prep High School (Natomas USD)
- 4th Place: Pleasant Grove High School (Elk Grove USD)
- 5th Place: Rio Americano High School (San Juan USD)
- 6th Place: St. Francis High School (Diocese of Sacramento)
- 7th Place: Vista del Lago High School (Folsom Cordova USD)
- 8th Place: Sheldon High School (Elk Grove USD)
- 1st Place: River City High School
El Dorado County
- 1st Place: Ponderosa High School
About Mock Trial
The Mock Trial Competition simulates a trial-level proceeding in which students portray the roles of pre-trial counsel, prosecuting and defense attorneys, witnesses, court clerks, bailiffs, and jurors before a single presiding judge and two scoring judges. Volunteers from local law firms and other legal organizations served as scoring and presiding judges for the five-day event.
- Sacramento County Mock Trial Champions—historical list of winning teams
About the State Competition
California’s Mock Trial Competition is sponsored by the Constitutional Rights Foundation (CRF), a non-profit, non-partisan, community-based organization dedicated to educating America’s young people about the importance of civic participation in a democratic society.