The Sacramento County Board of Education honored 12 students yesterday, the first recipients of the SCOE Resiliency Scholarship. Established by the Board, the scholarship supports graduating students who have attended SCOE Court Schools, Community Schools, Leo Palmiter Jr./Sr. High School, and the Senior Extension Program.
Many SCOE students demonstrate tenacity and perseverance in overcoming adverse challenges as they complete their education and advance their futures. The Resiliency Scholarship rewards those who have demonstrated determination and resilience in overcoming obstacles, helping support them in their pursuit of post-secondary education or vocational training. Recipients are also matched with mentors to support them as they navigate their post-secondary education and/or vocational training.
Scholarships of $1,000 were awarded to the following students:
- Francine Acuna, Gerber Jr./Sr. High School
- Robert Ibarra, North Area Community School
- Judith Marquez, Gerber Jr./Sr. High School
- Reanna Moore, Senior Extension—Cordova Lane
- Heather Oswalt, Gerber Jr./Sr. High School
- Dalinda Pope, Gerber Jr./Sr. High School
- Alyssa Roberts-Simmons, Gerber Jr./Sr. High School
- Melissa Roger, Gerber Jr./Sr. High School
- Roberto Salazar, Gerber Jr./Sr. High School
- Savannah Solei Sanchez, Senior Extension—Cordova Lane
- Elmerissa Taukave, North Area Community School
- Ramon Emilio Treto-Gallegos, Elinor Lincoln Hickey Jr./Sr. High School
In a video played during the meeting, students gave touching testimonials and related future educational plans.