For the second consecutive year, Eden Getahun from C. K. McClatchy High School (Sacramento City USD), has won the Sacramento County Poetry Out Loud competition. She took first place during the Sacramento County finals, which were conducted virtually this year. Noramon Ransibrahmanakul, from Mira Loma High School (San Juan USD), is the Sacramento County runner-up.
Participants in the county competition recorded videos of their presentations, which were scored by a panel of judges. The winners were announced during a celebration held by video conference yesterday.
Getahun, who won last year’s competition and went on to become the 2020 California Poetry Out Loud winner, will represent Sacramento County in this year‘s state finals, which will take place March 11–12 in Sacramento.
2021 Poetry Out Loud Participants
- Angie Colorado (Grant Union High School, Twin Rivers USD)
- Arun Dixit (Vista del Lago High School, Folsom Cordova USD)
- Rachel Dufour (Feather River Charter School)
- Eden Getahun (C.K. McClatchy High School, Sacramento City USD)
- Dallas Goolsby (Heritage Peak Charter)
- Enviey Hicks (Inderkum High School, Natomas USD)
- Ethan Ho (Franklin High School, Elk Grove USD)
- Noramon Ransibrahmanakul (Mira Loma High School, San Juan USD)
Awards Celebration to Play on Cable Television
The Sacramento Educational Cable Consortium (SECC) will broadcast the awards announcement and celebration event on Comcast Channel 15/Consolidated 21/U-Verse 14:
- February 22 at 12:30 p.m.
- February 24 at 12:30 p.m.
- February 26 at 12:30 p.m.
- February 27 at 9 a.m.
- February 27 at 4:30 p.m.
- February 28 at 9 a.m.
- February 28 at 4:30 p.m.
About Poetry Out Loud
The Sacramento County Poetry Out Loud competition encourages high school students to learn about great poetry through memorization, performance, and competition. The program provides students with the opportunity to perform poetry in English classes. Modeled after the National Spelling Bee, students start by competing in their local schools. Winners then progress to regional and state competitions, with state winners competing at the national level. Poetry Out Loud was launched nationwide in 2006.
Sacramento County’s Poetry Out Loud program is supported by the Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE), California Poets in the Schools, and the Poetry Foundation. This activity is funded by the California Arts Council and the National Endowment for the Arts.