After several days of fierce courtroom competition and thoughtful deliberations by esteemed judges, the verdicts are in for the 2015 Gordon D. Schaber Sacramento County Mock Trial competition. This year's Sacramento County champion was Elk Grove High School.
Rio Americano High School placed second in the competition, followed by Kaleo Home School in third, and Sacramento Country Day School placing fourth. The competition involved 20 teams representing 17 high schools from Sacramento, El Dorado, and Yolo counties.
The Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE), which coordinates the event, announced the winners at the GDS Awards Ceremony on March 2. Elk Grove High now advances to the California Mock Trial competition in Riverside, March 20-22.
The Mock Trial competition simulates a trial-level proceeding in which students portray the roles of pre-trial counsel, prosecuting and defense attorneys, witnesses, court clerks, bailiffs, and jurors before a single presiding judge and two scoring judges.
Volunteers from local law firms and other legal organizations served as scoring and presiding judges for the five-day event.
The California Mock Trial Competition is sponsored by the Constitutional Rights Foundation (CRF), a non-profit, non-partisan, community-based organization dedicated to educating America's young people about the importance of civic participation in a democratic society.
2015 Gordon D. Schaber Sacramento County Mock Trial Results
- 1st Place: Elk Grove High School (Blue Team)
- 2nd Place: Rio Americano High School
- 3rd Place: Kaleo Home School
- 4th Place: Sacramento Country Day School
- 5th Place: Sheldon High School
- 6th Place: St. Francis High School
- 7th Place: Elk Grove High School (Gold Team)
- 8th Place: Natomas Pacific Pathways Prep Charter High School (Team 1)
Other County Results
- El Dorado County (1st Place): Ponderosa High School
- Yolo County (1st Place): River City High School