The Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) hosted a reception on April 7 to honor those County Office teachers who have been nominated as candidates for SCOE Teacher of the Year 2015.
The teachers nominated for this prestigious honor represent the wide range of educational services provided by SCOE, ranging from programs for children with severe disabilities to instructional programs for at-risk youth housed in county detention facilities, as well as programs for students receiving career and technical training. Also joining in the festivities were administrators, colleagues and fellow staff members who made the nominations.
The nominees for SCOE Teacher of the Year 2015 are:
- Jerry Brooks (Juvenile Court Schools, El Centro Jr./Sr. High School)
- Linda Greer (Special Education, Hillsdale Head Start Preschool)
- Rebecca Gross (Special Education, Dry Creek Elementary School)
- Kevin Jordan (ROP Horticulture, Palmiter Jr./Sr. High School)
- Pedro Marquez (Community Schools/CARE, Center High School)
- Patricia Millings (Community Schools, Gerber Jr./Sr. High School)
- Oluchi Okemiri (Special Education, Prairie Elementary School—West Campus)
- Nick Papagiannopoulos (Special Education, Palmiter Jr./Sr. High School)
- Jill Zito (Pascoe) (Special Education, Palmiter Jr./Sr. High School)
SCOE will announce its Teacher of the Year 2015 in May. All of the school districts within the County of Sacramento, local charter schools, and SCOE, are invited each year to participate in the countywide Sacramento County Teachers of the Year program. The announcement of the Sacramento County Teachers of the Year will take place at an awards dinner on August 15.
The program is coordinated annually by SCOE to recognize the achievements of local educators and to raise awareness of the valuable role that teachers play in the lives of their students and in the community. Two teachers are selected as Sacramento County Teachers of the Year and are then eligible to participate in the statewide competition.
This year, the Sacramento County Teachers of the Year program is presented by SCOE in partnership with the Sacramento Kings, the Sacramento River Cats, Intel Corporation, and the Sacramento Scottish Rite Bodies of Freemasonry.
Information about the SCOE Teachers of the Year program is available online or by calling (916) 228-2417.