The Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) hosted a special reception on April 4 to honor those County Office teachers who have been nominated as 2012 SCOE Teacher of the Year candidates.
The teachers nominated for this prestigious honor represent the wide range of educational services provided by SCOE, ranging from programs for infants born with severe disabilities to instructional programs for at-risk youth housed in county detention facilities. Also joining in the festivities were the administrators, colleagues, and fellow staff members who made the nominations.
The nominees for 2012 SCOE Teacher of the Year are:
- Ben Diaz (Bannon Creek Elementary)
- Johanna Gorski (Jesse Baker School, McCaffrey Middle School, Marengo Ranch Elementary School, Markofer Elementary School, Monterey Trail High School)
- Beverly Haffner (Leo A. Palmiter Jr./Sr. High School, E.L. Hickey Jr./Sr. High School)
- Barbara MacQuiddy (Ralph Richardson Infant Center, Vineland Infant Center)
- Lydia Maerdian (Leo A. Palmiter Jr./Sr. High School)
- Gabriel Romo (E. L. Hickey Jr./Sr. High School)
- Verne Walter (Galt High School)
SCOE will announce its Teacher of the Year 2012 in early June 2011. The 2012 Sacramento County Teachers of the Year will be announced at a recognition banquet on August 31, 2011.
The Teachers of the Year program is coordinated annually by SCOE to recognize the achievements of local educators and to raise awareness of the valuable role that teachers play in the lives of their students and in the community. At the awards recognition banquet, two teachers are identified as the Sacramento County Teachers of the Year and are then eligible to participate in the statewide competition.
Business partners supporting the Sacramento County Teachers of the Year program are Maloof Sports and Entertainment, the Sacramento River Cats, the Intel Corporation Folsom, and the Sacramento Scottish Rite Bodies of Freemasonry.
Information about the program is available online or by phoning the Sacramento County Office of Education at (916) 228-2417.