Nine schools in Sacramento County are among those announced this week as recipients of California Distinguished Schools Awards. Sacramento-area schools chosen as California Distinguished Schools by the California Department of Education (CDE) include:
- Alpha Technology Middle School (Elverta Joint School District)
- Folsom Middle School (Folsom Cordova Unified School District)
- Westside Preparatory Charter School (Rio Linda Union School District)
- Albert Einstein Middle School (Sacramento City Unified School District)
- C.K. McClatchy High School (Sacramento City Unified School District)
- John F. Kennedy High School (Sacramento City Unified School District)
- Sam Brannan Middle School (Sacramento City Unified School District)
- Sutter Middle School (Sacramento City Unified School District)
- Rio Americano High School (San Juan Unified School District)
According to State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O'Connell, "At a time when we are challenging our middle and high schools to become more rigorous and more relevant to the lives and futures of students, I'm proud of these Distinguished Schools for setting examples of excellence. I am encouraged that more and more high schools are taking up this challenge to reach new academic heights so they are able to experience this significant honor."
Representatives from Distinguished Schools will be honored on May 20 at an awards ceremony and dinner held at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim. Each of the nine Distinguished Schools will receive an award plaque and a Distinguished School flag.
"We are proud to have even more Sacramento County schools recognized as California Distinguished Schools," said David W. Gordon, Sacramento County Superintendent of Schools. "There are now 63 Sacramento County schools that have been recognized by the California Department of Education as California Distinguished Schools in the past ten years — a strong indicator of the exemplary parent and community involvement, academic achievement, and commitment of teachers and school staff in Sacramento County."