Sacramento-area middle school students danced and "sang" their hearts out on March 21 at the 6th Annual Club Live Countywide Lip Sync Competition.
Fourteen campus chapters of Club Live—an organization offering youth safe and healthy alternatives to drugs and alcohol — sent teams to compete in the annual event. More than 60 students performed musical numbers on stage at downtown Sacramento's vintage theater, the Crest. Parents, teachers, family, friends, and the general public cheered each act. Cline Moore was the emcee.
Those serving as judges included: Dr. David P. Meaney, County Superintendent of Schools; Toni Moore, Administrator of the Sacramento County Drug and Alcohol Division; Dr. Jim Kooler, Administrator of the California Friday Night Live Partnership; Keith Bennett, event co-sponsor from Coca-Cola Bottling Company; Jennifer Smith, DJ of radio station 107.9 The End; Travis Margain, Improvement Coach at Voice Studio of Sacramento; and Jasmine Vera, Hiram Johnson High School student and member of the Friday Night Live County Youth Council.
Providing prizes and other support for the Club Live Countywide Lip Sync Competition were: Coca-Cola Bottling Company, Six Flags Marine World, radio station 107.9 The End, Sacramento River Cats, 24 Hour Fitness, the Friday Night Live County Youth Council, dozens of community volunteers, and Crest Theatre. The Folsom High School video production class assisted with photography and videotaping. Every student participating onstage was awarded a Club Live t-shirt. Top winners received additional prizes.
Participants and Awards
- Alpha Technology Middle School (Elverta Jt. School District)
- Foothill Farms Junior High (Grant Jt. Union High School District)
- Harriet Eddy Middle School (Elk Grove Unified School District)
- James Rutter Middle School (Elk Grove Unified School District): 1ST PLACE
- Joseph Kerr Middle School (Elk Grove Unified School District): PRIZE FOR LIP SYNC ACCURACY
- Kit Carson Middle School (Sacramento City Unified School District)
- Leroy Greene Middle School (Natomas Unified School District): PRIZE FOR BEST CHOREOGRAPHY
- Martin Luther King, Jr., Junior High School (Grant Jt. Union High School District): 2ND PLACE
- Mills Middle School (Folsom Cordova Unified School District)
- Mitchell Middle School (Folsom Cordova Unified School District): 3RD PLACE
- Natomas Middle School (Natomas Unified School District)
- Toby Johnson Middle School (Elk Grove Unified School District)
- T.R. Smedberg Middle School (Elk Grove Unified School District)
- Will Rogers Middle School (San Juan Unified School District)
The Club Live program is active at 22 middle school campuses in Sacramento County. Club Live helps build partnerships for healthy youth development that engage youth as active leaders and resources in their communities. As students leave middle school, they are eligible to participate in Friday Night Live chapters at their high schools.
Additional information about Friday Night Live and Club Live is available by contacting Joelle Orrock at (916) 228-2418, Sacramento County Office of Education, 9738 Lincoln Village Drive, Sacramento, CA 95827.