The contributions of Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) certificated and classified staff were recognized by the Sacramento County Board of Education at its 1 May meeting.
The Sacramento County Board of Education voted to adopt two resolutions honoring SCOE employees in May. Board Resolution No. 01-07 proclaimed May 9, 2001, as Day of the Teacher in Sacramento County. The week of May 20–26, 2001, was declared in Board Resolution 01-08 to be Classified School Employees Week. Both resolutions passed unanimously.
The approximately 700 Sacramento County Office of Education employees make it possible for SCOE to:
- Directly educate more than 30,000 students annually
- Provide fiscal oversight of 16 local school districts
- Provide educational leadership and support to school districts, including arrangements for a $15 million grant to seven area school districts for the implementation of research-based reading programs
- Provide school districts with economies of scale savings through group purchasing, technology services, community-business partnerships, and specialized training
- Increase educational resources—such as grant funding—to enhance education in Sacramento County