Personnel Department Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


Below are answers to common questions received by the Personnel Department at the Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE). If a specific question is not answered, please call: (916) 228-2332.

Employment Applications

How do I find out if a specific position is open?

Job opportunities are listed on the EDJOIN website.

What is the difference between Certificated and Classified employees?

Certificated employees are required to have a credential from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). Classified employees are not required to have a teaching credential.

How do I apply for a job with SCOE?

Applications are only accepted for jobs that are currently open for recruitment. Applications may be completed using the EDJOIN website.

Can I submit a résumé in lieu of filing an employment application?

No. Résumés are not accepted in lieu of an employment application, although some positions do require applicants to include a résumé. Required application materials will be specified in the job announcement.

Classified Examinations

Do you accept examination or skill test results from other agencies?

The examinations administered by the Personnel Department reflect the knowledge, skills, and abilities required of the particular job for which you are applying. In most cases, examinations are specifically developed to meet the needs of the department and its clients. Examination results from other school districts, county employers, and/or public agencies are not transferable.

What kind of examination will I be required to pass?

The type of examination that you will be given is typically listed on the job announcement. Examinations are based on actual job duties and the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for these job duties described in the job announcement. The examination may consist of one or more of the following test parts: scored supplemental questionnaires, written tests, oral panel examinations, or performance tests.

How do I prepare for the Classified Examination?

Examinations administered by the Personnel Department are job-related and designed to test the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to do the essential functions of the job. Carefully read the job announcement, and study material you feel would directly relate to the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities. For example, if two of the requirements for a job are performing mathematical calculations and interpreting regulations, some of the examination questions will probably include math and reading comprehension.

What if I am unable to participate in the examination on the announced date?

The examination schedule is determined in advance and usually noted in the job announcement. Because of the complex coordination required to obtain meeting room space or schedule panelists, these dates cannot be rescheduled.

What happens after I take the examination?

SCOE seeks the highest qualified applicants. After you participate in the examination, whether it is the first in a series of test parts or the only part, you will be notified by mail of the examination results.

Will I receive bonus points if I am a veteran?

There are conditions for receiving military veteran points. First, you must pass the entire examination and earn a rank on the eligibility list. If you pass the examination, you will then receive five bonus points if you meet the definition of a veteran and ten points if you are a veteran with a disability. It is your responsibility to provide a copy of your DD-214 form to the Personnel Department before the eligibility list is established.

What is the definition of a veteran?

According to California Education Code, “Veteran” means any person who has served in the United States armed forces in a time of war, or during a national emergency declared by the President of the United States of America, and who has been discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable, proof of which shall be submitted at the time of employment examination. “Armed forces” means the United States Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard.

“Veteran with a disability” means any veteran who is currently declared by the United States Veterans Administration to be 10 percent or more disabled as a result of service in the armed forces. Proof of disability shall be deemed conclusive if it is of record in the United States Veterans Administration.

What happens if I am recommended for selection?

If you are recommended for selection by the hiring manager, you will be contacted by Personnel to discuss the job offer and answer any questions you may have. You will be required by law to be fingerprinted, and participate in a test for exposure to Tuberculosis. Final appointment to the job may depend on a background check (using your fingerprints) and past employment reference checks.

What happens if I am not selected or not interviewed?

Our objective is to hire the most qualified person for the job. If you are not successful in obtaining a job immediately, your name will remain on the eligibility list for consideration for any other vacancies that occur (in the same job class) until the list expires. If you are not hired during that time, you must wait for another recruitment in that job class and reapply.

Merit System and SCOE Personnel Commission

What is the Merit System?

The Merit System is a personnel system of rules and procedures, similar to civil service, which governs Classified school personnel. It is based on the principle of employment and promotion on the basis of merit for the purpose of obtaining the highest efficiency and assuring the selection and retention of the best-qualified people in the service of the Sacramento County Office of Education.

What is the Personnel Commission?

The SCOE Personnel Commission was established in December 1967 to administer the Merit System for Classified employees.

California Education Code specifies the responsibilities of Personnel Commissions. The Commission is comprised of three members that serve staggered three-year terms. One member is appointed by the County Board of Education, another member is appointed by the Classified collective bargaining employee unit (CSEA Chapter 480). Together, those two members select the third member.

What are the principles of the Personnel Commission?

California Education Code provides the legal guidelines for implementing the Merit System. Some of these responsibilities are:

  • To hire and promote employees on the basis of ability with open competition in initial appointments.
  • To classify positions and allocate them to the proper classifications.
  • To hear appeals of disciplinary matters as a neutral party.
  • To hear protests regarding its selection process assuring fair treatment of all candidates.
  • To prescribe rules related to a variety of personnel practices.

What is the role of the Personnel Commission?

  • To assist SCOE in maintaining a smoothly operating workforce that ably performs required tasks.
  • To ensure employees’ positions are properly classified so that each employee is compensated fairly, commensurate with duties assigned and performed.
  • To ensure the selection, promotion and retention of Classified employees on the basis of merit and fitness through competitive examinations, removing personal favoritism and political influence.

Substitute Teachers

How do I get my name on the substitute teachers list?

The first step is to call our office at (916) 228-2332 to determine if we are currently hiring substitutes. You will need to attach verification of passing CBEST to your application when you turn it in to our office. Our staff can answer any questions you have about working in our various programs. Each school district within Sacramento County hires substitute teachers. Contact districts directly for substitute teaching information.

How much does a SCOE substitute teacher make?

Refer to the Substitute Teacher Daily Pay Rates.

I don’t have a teaching credential, but I want to substitute teach, what do I need to do?

Apply for an Emergency Substitute Credential through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). The commission will mail you all the necessary forms along with instructions detailing the required documentation you need to apply for the credential. At a minimum, you will need to have your original transcripts from the college or university where you received a bachelor’s degree or higher and an original CBEST card showing that you passed the CBEST.


My credential is about to expire, what do I do?

Visit the credential renewal section of the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing website to find out if your credential must be or is eligible to be renewed online. If online credential renewal is not available and you are currently employed with a school district, visit your district’s personnel office for assistance in submitting the application. Otherwise, you may renew your credential by mail. Manual application forms are available through the Commission. Be sure to keep copies of all documents submitted to the CCTC including a copy of your payment.

I’m enrolled in a credentialing program to get my single-subject credential, but I’m not finished yet. Can I still get hired?

Employers are required to first consider fully credentialed applicants for Certificated vacancies. However, it is possible to get hired in some positions prior to obtaining a credential. The applicant will be required to obtain an Intern Certificate or other appropriate authorization issued by the CCTC.

How long does it take to get my Emergency 30-day Permit?

After the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) receives your application, it takes approximately 1-4 months to receive your credential by mail. Your employer may request that you complete an application for a “Temporary County Certificate” (TCC) while you are waiting for the credential to be issued. The TCC allows you to begin substitute teaching as soon as we receive fingerprint clearance. The TCC is valid for one year.

I have a credential issued by another state. What do I need to do?

Most out of state credentials qualify an applicant to receive a California Preliminary Credential. For further information about the requirements for this process, please contact the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC): (888) 921-2682.


How do I make an appointment to be fingerprinted?

You can contact any agency that provides Live Scan fingerprinting services. A list of local agencies and all applicable forms will be provided if you are offered employment at SCOE.

How long does it take to get fingerprint clearance?

Fingerprint clearance varies. The approximate time frame is one to two weeks. However, fingerprint clearance can take as long as several months to clear.

I was fingerprinted before. Do I need to do it again?

It is against the law for different agencies to share confidential fingerprint results with each other. Therefore, you must be fingerprinted any time you change employers within the public school system.

New Employee/Benefits

How long is the probationary period for new employees?

The probationary period for Classified employees is six months. For management, the period is one year. For fully credentialed, Certificated staff, the probationary period is two years.

What benefits are offered by SCOE?

Benefits may include medical, dental, orthodontics, life insurance, vision, tax-sheltered annuity, and PERS contributions, depending on the classification of the position. (Benefits vary by bargaining unit.) Specific information regarding plans and fees is provided once an offer of employment is made.

What retirement system is in effect for SCOE?

The California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS) is available to Certificated staff. The California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) is available to Classified staff.