Multilingual Education Leadership Network (MELN) (formerly known as ELCN)
The Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) serves as the Region 3 English Learner Content Specialist under the California System of Support. Through the quarterly Multilingual Education Leadership Network (MELN) meetings, SCOE provides educators from districts and charters current federal, state, and local information focused on meeting the needs of emergent bilinguals/ English learners.
Region 3 counties: Alpine, Colusa, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, Sierra, Sutter, Yolo, and Yuba.
The purpose of these meetings is to provide timely and pertinent information on English learner programs and services at the state and federal levels. The network offers technical assistance for continuous improvement to equip LEAs and COEs with resources and tools to support the development, implementation, and evaluation of strategies to ensure that English learners have the resources they need to succeed. Staff from the California Department of Education and other agencies are frequently invited to present timely information. Participants value the opportunity to collaborate, network, and share information with colleagues from other districts. Participates are asked to disseminate information provided to them during meetings to the schools in their districts.
Areas of support: LCAP Federal Addenda (Title III), implementation of English learner policy, coaching for systemic improvement, data-based decision making, high quality instruction, connection of resources for specialized programs.
- English Learner Roadmap Implementation for Systemic Excellence (EL RISE!) link coming soon!
- State Seal of Biliteracy link: https://www.scoe.net/divisions/ed_services/curriculum/biliteracy/
- Title III/ EL Specialist link: https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/el/t3/
- ELD Bookmark Order Form
- ELD Resources from SCOE K–12 Curriculum and Instruction Services link: http://estandards.scoecurriculum.net/resourcesELD.php
- USA Learns—learn about the free website that helps adults learn English link: https://www.usalearns.org/project-and-developers
MELN Meeting Information
MELN meetings are held periodically throughout the traditional school year, typically on Thursday afternoons from 12:30 – 3:30 p.m. Registration is required at scoe.gosignmeup.com. To be notified about meeting dates, added to the distribution list, or to request agendas and other materials, please e-mail Graciela García-Torres.