English Language Arts/English Language Development Department (K–12)
English language arts/English language (ELA/ELD) development is part of the Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) K–12 Curriculum and Instruction (C&I) Services Program. The department offers high-quality professional development, coaching, consulting, and technical assistance. Staff has expertise in California's Common Core State Standards, English Language Development Standards, and all of the SBE-adopted programs.
Workshops and trainings facilitated by the department are research-based, interactive, and immediately applicable. A variety of audiences are served: administrators, coaches, and teachers. The department offers services to help manage training events, track professional development hours, and earn continuing education credits (when applicable).
Training and Consultation
Site-based services include curriculum support, administrator and teacher coaching, coach support, as well as delivering workshops and training.
Workshops and Trainings for Teachers
- Workshops and trainings for teachers are designed to support your focus on core knowledge and significant components related to ELA/ELD content and/or instruction. Trainings include current research, strategies to address the needs of all students, including English learners, and activities to refine instructional practice that can be readily applied in the classroom.
Workshops and Trainings for Administrators
These trainings are designed to support a focus on core knowledge and significant components related to ELA/ELD content and/or instruction. Trainings support the development of students' academic proficiency and your current leadership efforts.
Curriculum Support for Teachers and Coaches
Professional development is more than workshops and trainings. Curriculum staff can support your professional development needs in a variety of ways. Staff is well versed in California's language arts curriculum, framework, and standards. All Curriculum staff hold Reading/Language Arts Specialist credentials and have consulted at the state, district, and site level on ELA/ELD curriculum matters. Support includes:
- Curriculum implementation reviews
- Walk-throughs and data analysis to identify and diagnose instructional issues
- Providing workshops and trainings focused on identified needs
- Training and facilitating lesson study
- Data analysis and collaboration based on language arts assessments
- Supporting RtI and MTSS implementation
Instructional leaders wear a variety of hats. Staff has the content expertise to be the extra set of eyes to help move staff to higher levels of literacy achievement. Curriculum staff can work collaboratively to create a comprehensive literacy plan that includes:
- Walk-throughs and data analysis to identify and diagnose literacy issues
- Professional development targeted at the identified needs
- Monitoring and managing instruction
- Planning for site/teacher support and intervention needs
We have more than 15 years of experience coaching teachers in the delivery of their English language arts programs. We'll work with grade level/department teams to improve the effectiveness of their instruction. Support includes:
- Observation and feedback
- Lesson planning
- Lesson study
- Workshops and training
- Coaching cycle
- Demonstration lesson
- Demo lesson debrief
- Lesson observation
- Lesson debrief
The most effective coaches have expertise in current research, lesson delivery, and working collaboratively with teachers. Curriculum staff have not only been coaches, they have been supporting coaches in the field for more than 10 years. Curriculum staff can help increase the capacity of your coaches by supporting them in:
- Technical skills of reading
- California English Language Arts Content Standards
- California English Language Development Standards
- Curriculum materials
- Relationship building
- Presentation skills
- Delivering demonstration lessons
- Time management