California Common Core State Content Standards
The California State Content Standards are designed to encourage the highest achievement of K–12 students by defining the knowledge, concepts, and skills students should acquire in each grade level.
- SCOE Common Core State Standards FAQ
- Common Core Leadership Planning Guide—developed by the Consortium for the Implementation of the Common Core State Standards (a collaborative group from CDE, CTA, ACSA, CSBA, CCSESA, and many other organizations)
- Smarter Balanced State Testing System—part of the new California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) System
State Guidance for Maximizing Investments in Professional Learning
The state guidance document (and the summary) describes the use of new professional learning funds supporting student, educator, and school system growth, incorporating all current state content standards (SB 77).
- Making Meaning of the CA Mathematics and ELA/ELD Frameworks—introduction to brochures, executive summaries, curriculum frameworks
Curriculum Framework Summaries
- ELA/ELD Framework Summary—the English Language Arts/English Language Development Framework for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve offers guidance for providing all California students a world-class education in English language arts and in literacy in history/social studies, science, and technical subjects.
- History–Social Science Framework—the History-Social Science Framework for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve offers guidance for educators as they design, implement, and maintain a coherent course of study to teach content, develop inquiry-based critical thinking skills, improve reading comprehension and expository writing ability, and promote an engaged and knowledgeable citizenry in history and the related social sciences.
- Mathematics Framework Summary—the Mathematics Framework for California Public Schools, K–12 highlights essential information and provides guidance in mathematics. It includes a wealth of information and support for teachers, administrators, and parents/guardians.
- Science Framework Summary—the Science Framework for California Public Schools: Kindergarten Through Grade Twelve supports a three-dimensional vision of science education and is a valuable resource for teachers, administrators, parents, and curriculum developers. In the California Next Generation Science Standards (CA NGSS), students need to do more than simply know about science; they need to know core science and engineering ideas, do science and engineering, and think like scientists and engineers.
Parent/Guardian Overview Brochures by Grade Level
These brochures explain the Common Core State Standards to parents/guardians, providing insights into what students will learn and highlighting progression through the grade levels.
- English Language Arts/Literacy
- English Language Development
- History–Social Science
- English: K–5 [printable], 6–8 [printable], 9–12 [printable]
- Spanish: K–5 [printable], 6–8 [printable], 9–12 [printable]
Links to California State Standards and Related Information
English Language Arts (ELA)
- Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science and Technical Subjects [Spanish]
- SCOE K–12 ELA/Literacy Department
English Language Development (ELD)
New Standards Require Changes to State Testing
The new California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) System replaces the Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) system. Test results help identify gaps in knowledge so students can receive the support they need to succeed.
- CAASPP System Tools and Resources—information about communicating with families, teachers, and others