Gallery: Sacramento County Schools During the Early 1900s
American River School
American River School was built near 39th and J Streets. Teaching began in 1860. It served an area east and southeast of the old city limits. In 1908, 48 years later, American River School joined the Sacramento City Unified School District.
Arcade School was officially organized in 1885. It served the employees of Rancho del Paso, who had originally gone to a school for jockeys at the Haggin Ranch. The school building was used until 1920, 35 years later. The Arcade District built additional schools until 1960 when it became part of the San Juan Unified School District.
Arno School was built in 1890 across from the Hicksville Cemetery on Arno Road. It was Sacramento County's last one-room school. Bessie Weiland was the last teacher. Arno School consolidated with Herald and Colony Schools to form the Arcohe District in 1955.
Brighton School was renamed "Edward Kelly" in 1924. The building was moved from Perkins on Folsom Boulevard to Bradshaw Road. The building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The original district dates back to 1858.
Carrroll School District
Carroll School District was created in 1877. The original school was located at Bruceville and Lambert Roads. A new one was built at the same location in 1927. The school burned down, and Carroll District was annexed to Elk Grove in 1947.
Elk Grove Union High School
The Elk Grove Union High School, established in 1893, was the first Union High School in California. It opened with 20 students and one teacher, Mr. Robertson R. McKissick.
Enterprise School was located on the east side of Hedge Avenue, north of Florin Road. The first record found was for the 1865-66 school year. In 1950, Enterprise was joined with Sierra School. Classes were held in both buildings until 1955 when all classes were moved to a new building on the corner of Hedge and Fruitridge.
Excelsior School District
This district was known as the "Bailey District" from 1859-1863 and as "Excelsior" until 1946. The school was located one mile south of the junction of Jackson Highway and Excelsior Road. As late as 1930, there was no running water or inside plumbing.
Fair Oaks School
The first session of the Fair Oaks School was held in a hall over a store building. The first official school, built by colonists, consisted of only one room. This building was constructed in 1901. Fair Oaks Elementary School was started in 1887.
The first Florin School, built in 1887, was located on McComber Lane, east of the railroad tracks. Hiram Johnson, who later became Governor and then United States Senator, attended school at Florin.
The Franklin School District was established in 1859 near what is now the town of Franklin. The present school is on Hood-Franklin Road. Charles "Toby" Johnson, former County Supervisor of the 5th District, began his teaching career at Franklin.
Goldberg School District
It is likely that this school was located north of 14th Avenue and 43rd Street. The area north of 14th Avenue was annexed to Sacramento City Unified about 1912. The remainder of the Goldberg District, south of 14th Avenue, became known as the Fruit Ridge Elementary School District.
Granite School District
The original name of Folsom City was Granite. The town was laid out in 1855. In 1857, the first railroad west of the Mississippi River was completed from Sacramento to Folsom. The first public school in Folsom was established in 1857.
Highland School District
Highland School was located on Middle Jackson Road, now Kiefer Boulevard, a mile west of Grant Line Road. The district operated from 1883 to 1909 and then closed intermittently to 1929. In 1930 it was attached to the Wilson District. After the school burned, the county took over the property.
Jackson School District
Jackson School District was established in 1866. It was located north of Elk Grove on the present Calvine Road. In 1921, Jackson joined with Victory and Elk Grove to form Elk Grove Union School District.
The Kinney School has had a long history of ups and downs but has survived. During 1871, the Kinney School enrolled 64 pupils making it one of the largest rural schools of Sacramento County.
The first Orangevale School was built in 1890. In 1904, a new two-story building was built to replace this building which later became a private residence. In 1902, there was one teacher for ten grades. Seventy-nine pupils were enrolled.
Pleasant Grove District
The Pleasant Grove School is located in the southeastern part of the county near the town of Sheldon. It is on Pleasant Grove School Road which connects the Grant Line Road and Sheldon Road. From 1859-1863, it was known as Mt. Pleasant School.
San Joaquin School District
In 1854 and 1855, the San Joaquin township operated two school districts: #1 and #2. From 1857-1865 the Township operated San Joaquin District #2 and #3. In 1928, the San Joaquin District joined Elk Grove Union District. The San Joaquin School was the first registered public school in Sacramento County.
Sutter School District
Sutter School District began as Sutter #1 in 1856. The area ran from the southern boundary of the city of Sacramento to Freeport. It became the Sutter School District in 1863. In 1946, the district joined with the Lisbon District to form Sutter Union School District.
The first Sylvan School was started as a private school in 1862. It was held in the home of Mrs. Sarah J. Cross. By the end of the year, a new building was constructed. The school consisted of one large room and two hat halls. The district was made up of farm families and children of workers at the stagecoach houses on the old Auburn Road.
Victory School District
This district was located east of the Elk Grove District to the Cosumnes River. On January 8, 1881, an election was held to form a new district, and the community voted $400 for building purposes. In 1921, Victory joined three other school districts to form Elk Grove Union School District.