The Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) is seeking applications for an appointment to a seat on the SCOE Personnel Commission. The Commission consists of three members—one appointed by the Sacramento County Board of Education, one appointed by the classified collective bargaining employee unit, and a third selected by the other two Commissioners. The vacancy is for the “Commission Appointee” position.
The three-member Personnel Commission is the public body responsible for the administration of SCOE’s Merit System, a civil service system for classified employees and for fostering the advancement of career service for such employees. To execute these responsibilities, California Education Code provides that the Personnel Commissioners shall classify positions; hear appeals of disciplinary and dismissal matters, and protests involving examinations, selection, and appointment procedures; and prescribe rules related to a variety of personnel practices.
The Commission will review all applications and make the final appointment.
To qualify for appointment to the Sacramento County Office of Education Personnel Commission, an applicant must:
- be a registered voter and resident within the territorial jurisdiction of the Sacramento County Office.
- support the concepts of employment, continuance of employment, in-service promotional opportunities, and other related matters on the basis of merit and fitness.
Personnel Commissioners have the following responsibilities:
- The Personnel Commission ensures that classified employees receive fair and equitable treatment.
- The Personnel Commission represents the public’s interest by providing a personnel system dedicated to the hiring and retaining of the best-qualified employees.
- The Personnel Commission works in cooperation with the County Superintendent’s administrators in the quest for competent employees and good personnel administration.
The Commission meets approximately once a month in the evening. Commissioners are paid $50 per meeting and are eligible to receive fringe benefits (health, dental, vision, etc.). Commission appointments are for a three-year term.
The application deadline is September 30, 2019.