Sacramento County Superintendent of Schools David W. Gordon announced yesterday that Darlene Furtado has been selected as the Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) 2018 Classified Employee of the Year. Furtado is a Special Education Technician/WorkAbility Program for SCOE at the Youth Detention Facility. She will be honored by the Sacramento County Board of Education at its May 1 meeting.
The annual SCOE Classified Employees of the Year competition helps pay tribute to the efforts of SCOE’s outstanding classified employees. SCOE staff from some/all of six categories are nominated to compete. Following paper screening and formal interviews, those with high enough scores move on to the county competition. One of the employees is also named the SCOE Classified Employee of the Year.
Furtado will compete in the “Paraprofessional Educator/Instructional Assistance” category at the county level, hoping to continue on to the California Department of Education (CDE) Classified School Employees of the Year Competition later this year. CDE recognizes exemplary classified employees statewide who best represent California and symbolize contributions and commitment to education.
Classified employees are vital support staff who play a key role in making schools run smoothly and work to promote student achievement, safety, and health. The SCOE employees nominated for this prestigious honor are being recognized for their ongoing and exemplary performance of responsibilities contributing significantly to the success of SCOE programs, services, and special projects.
SCOE Classified Employees of the Year Competition Nominees
- Deborah Allen, Early Head Start Educator
- Emilia Bennett, Para-Educator SH
Sheldon High School
- Vanessa Edwards, Special Education Technician/WorkAbility Program
Leo A. Palmiter, McCaffrey Middle School (Galt)
- Darlene Furtado, Special Education Technician/WorkAbility Program
Youth Detention Facility (YDF)
- Kelly Kuhl, Special Education Technician/WorkAbility Program
Leo A. Palmiter, Eleanor Lincoln Hickey, North Area Community School
- Bryan Paveglio, Lead Behavioral Management Technician, Special Education
Leo A. Palmiter
- Carla Quintella, Special Education Technician/WorkAbility Program
Transition Partnership Project
- Michelle Smith, Financial Analyst
- Daphanee Williams, Student Information Services Specialist