Thanksgiving came a little early today for North Area Community School students and their families, thanks to supportive school staff, charitable local businesses, and other donors. School staff organized the 5th annual holiday food drive, from which nearly 80 appreciative students and their families received donated turkeys, traditional holiday side dishes, and pies.
The donated meals were made possible thanks to school staff and the following:
- Costco (Auburn Blvd.)
- Davis Christian Assembly
- Greg Geeting, Area 1 Trustee, Sacramento County Board of Education
- Raley's (Natomas Blvd. & Marconi Ave.)
- Sacramento County Probation Department
- Sacramento County Office of Education Staff
- Safeway (Del Paso Rd.)
- Sam's Club (El Camino Ave.)
- Target (Madison Ave. & Fulton Ave.)
- Walmart (Antelope Rd., El Camino Ave., Riverpoint Ct., and Truxel Rd.)
Most of the students educated in community schools have been referred by their local districts as a condition of their re-admittance requirements following expulsion from school. North Area Community School is a Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) campus that provides students an opportunity to continue their education and experience significant positive changes in their lives.
Although community school programs focus on academic success, other important components include development of positive interpersonal skills, plus positive social interactions with peers and adults. A community school's smaller environment and dedicated instructional and support staff allow for a more personalized learning experience.